• 1
Sunday, November 19, 2017

Barasoain Church Highlights

Barasoain Church

1859 The Barasoain Church was constructed using light materials under the supervision of Rev. Fr. Francisco Royo, O.S.A.

July 16, 1884 During the feast of Nuestra Señora del Carmen, the patron saint of the parish, the church was burned.

1885 Rev. Fr. Juan Giron, O.S.A., supervised the reconstruction of the present church of Barasoain.

September 14, 1898 Aguinaldo transferred his government from Bacoor, Cavite to Malolos, Bulacan.

September 15, 1898 The Malolos Congress was convened.

September 18, 1898 Aguinaldo proclaimed Malolos as the capital of the Philippines.

September 29, 1898 The congress ratified the Act of Declaration of Independence of June 12, 1898.

January 20, 1899 Malolos Congress approved the Malolos Constitution.

January 23, 1899 The Philippine Republic was proclaimed with Gen. Aguinaldo taking his oath of office as its president.

August 1, 1973 The church of Barasoain was declared a national landmark through PD No. 260 signed by President Ferdinand E. Marcos.


Malolos Church

1673 The church of La Purisima Concepcion was built (using nipa and bamboo) by Fr. Francisco Fernandez.

1820 – 1824 The church was rebuilt with stone by Rev. Fr. Melchor Fernandez.

1887 The church was renovated & embellished by Rev. Fr. Felipe Garcia.

Sept. 10, 1898 to March 29, 1898 The convent of the church (now Malolos Cathedral Basilica Minore) served as official residence of Aguinaldo.